12.06.2013

Little cottage Christmas...

Jennifer Rizzo's 



Welcome to The Little Cottage on the Pond!  Our "cottage" is just under 1,900 square feet.  Small for a Texas home and a family of six, but we believe small houses make for tight knit families. Although it's a new build, we have incorporated vintage pieces to give our little cottage a farmhouse vibe.





In keeping with our "merry little Christmas" theme I used decorations that we already had collected over the years.  I like decorations that blend in with the existing decor and don't compete with it, as well as taking what we already own and revamping it a little differently each year.

So y'all come on in, and fix yourselves a cup of hot cocoa...or a tall glass of sweet tea.  After all, this is the Texas coast, and it doesn't get very cold here in the winter ;)




I love these little birds nests...and I've always been a fan of burlap...


I used my dad's old nautical maps to paper the ceiling in the entryway.  I love that I can see where he charted our trips to Florida and Corpus Christi.  I am big on repurposing and adding details that have meaning to our family.  It's what makes a cottage cozy...


Brown paper packages tied up with...more burlap.  This is a Texas Christmas...




Our kitchen truly is the heart of our home.  We spend lots of time here cooking, baking, playing games around the table...and laughing.  A cottage needs lots of laughter...





We eat all of our meals around this table...



I started setting up a hot cocoa station a few years ago.  Our kids are getting older, but I love how the they still come home and fix themselves a cup of cocoa- proving that you are never too old for mini marshmallows!







Even Bessie is decked out for the holidays...


vintage hangers make great towel racks...




Vintage knobs add sparkle...


Our doxies will tell you this is the most important area in the cottage...

Our tree is a skinny tree.  This is not a large living room, so space is at a premium.  We decorate it using ornaments we have collected over the years, burlap ribbon, vintage postcards, and some red balls for a pop of colour.  A thrift store crown is our tree topper...


Vintage postcards hang from our tree.  I love reading the handwritten notes on the backs of them...

I adore typography and incorporate it wherever I can...

This blanket was a gift from some friends in Scotland...



Gruene- Our favourite tiny Texas town...


Burlap and linen stockings...


My favourite part of owning this old Royal typewriter is using it to display quotes or lyrics...


My dad's old books.  One of my most beloved treasures...


A bit of greenery hiding out in the cabinet.  A few pops of gold here and there add a bit of subtle sparkle all year long.






My dad's boar's hair paintbrushes.  He started out as a bridge painter in the 1940's...
I love winter whites and creams.  Cool colours in the bedroom are relaxing to me...

Hubby and I built this headboard.  It's a Ballard Design knockoff- learn how we made it here...




A Southern Proper Monogram hangs on the back door with another burlap stocking...


We like to keep the holidays simple.  Enjoying the presence of each other's company rather than focusing on presents under the tree.  Baking treats for neighbors and friends, sending notes of gratitude to those who do things to make our world a brighter place, relaxing together and taking in all the beauty of the season.  Living in the moment and seeing our very full glass in life makes for a very happy holiday.

Thank you so much for stopping by, and from my cottage family to yours- 
we wish you a very Merry little Christmas...


    PS- always make time to be a little silly!


Thank you so much for stopping by, and be sure to check out the other lovely homes on the tour!


*photography by BrittanyRae Photography & Design

This is part of the Christmas Party Tour of Homes that is taking place all this week- 24 bloggers are sharing their Christmas homes over 4 days...

Tuesday, December 3rd

Christmas Party Tour of Homes Tuesday December 3rd

Wednesday, December 4th

Christmas Party Tour Wednesday

Thursday, December 5th

Christmas Party Tour of Homes Thursday December 5th option 2
Christmas Party Tour of Homes Friday December 6th
Mod Vintage Life
Linked up at The Nester
From My Front Porch to Yours

52 comments:

  1. Oh the little cottage is looking so beautiful this Christmas season! Your tree, the stockings, all of the cottagy touches and your beautiful family make a truly beautiful home tour! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fromt the front door and right through to the back door, your home is lovely and so pretty decorated for Christmas. Thanks for sharing the tour and love both family photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. My hubby would absolutely die over your map ceiling. He LOVES maps. What a cool way to incorporate them into your home! 2. Will you please come to my house and decorate the whole thing? I LOVE your style! Everything is done so, so beautifully; I can't even pick a favorite! 3. Your family is the cutest ever. Love that you all have so much fun together! I could go on and on-- thank you so much for sharing with us!!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abby- I love to travel! I would totally come help decorate :) Maps are such a neat way to personalize a space. I adore my little family- they are hams!

      Delete
  4. I always enjoy peeking into your home! I am really loving the idea of a "simple" Christmas this year! LOVE your family photos. Especially the second one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sweet! I used to drive at a snail's pace to peek into lit windows of homes....then blogs! Yay! The second photo was our photographers idea. She is a gem!

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful home! I love all of your sentimental pieces. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- I love how personal pieces with meaning make a home cozy :)

      Delete
  6. Luv all the special holiday touches to the little cottage. I am so inspired ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sigh...I've drooled plenty over your regular home tour and this tour did not disappoint either! Girl, you are SO talented!! Seriously, your photos look straight out of a magazine. Love that you shared a silly photo too :)
    XO,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, that is so sweet! I have to give credit to my fab friend, Brittany Rae, for the amazing photos. She is uber-talented!

      Delete
  8. Wow - really pretty house. But so little color, I didn't see any blue until the family photo - than all blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Joe. I am a black and white gal ;) I used to be big into colour in our homes, but honestly I have grown to love the peacefulness of monotone decorating.

      Delete
  9. Your house is GORGEOUS!!!! I am so in love with all the vintage touches and family momentos! I want to come hang out and hear all the stories that go with each item! Not to mention I love all the colors of your home...especially those dark double doors...what color are they!? Your house might just be the inspiration I need to paint mine! Can't believe I'm a part of the same tour as you!

    Amber @ Averie Lane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber- The doors are painted in ASCP Graphite with a clear wax coat. I adore painted doors- and especially love the farmhouse chalky look of chalk paint. Jump on in, the paint is fab!

      Delete
  10. Every little detail in your home is gorgeous! Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Your taste and home is absolutely fantastic!LOVE your old typewriter and your door wreath and your plates and ....EVERYTHING Tanks for sharing your home tour with us ! Have a great weekend! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Travis found the typewriter in the trash and rescued it for me years ago. Love :)

      Delete
  12. Patricia, I can't get over all the beautiful little details in your home! The map ceiling, Scottish blanket, your beautiful porch and pig over your stove. I love EVERYTHING you do! You blow me away! Ah I could look at these pictures for hours!!! Wish I could see it in person!! Xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome to come stay here anytime! We love house guests :)

      Delete
  13. Love your style and home. I'm now your latest follower. I fav is your dad's paintbrushes. What a wonderful treasure. Now to visit more posts and share. ~Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those brushes mean the world to me. I love that he knows I adore vintage items. He brings me stuff or sets stuff aside for me now and then. :)

      Delete
  14. Patricia I am loving every bit of your beautiful home, and your tour is gorgeous!! Pinning-xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just charming! I love the hot cocoa station and the spot for your doxies, so homey and comfy. Your family beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the dogs would love to get their paws on that hot cocoa station too, lol! They are plotting....

      Delete
  16. I love, love, love your house! This tour is amazing, you outdid yourself with every detail. You have a beautiful family ;) Sharing on my FB page today.
    Hugs,
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jamie! I am honored that you would share :)

      Delete
  17. Patricia, your house looks amazing. I love the corner where the Christmas tree is. Also, your quirky family picture - love it!! Hope you are getting a little of this cold air. We are iced in here in Rockwall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We are having temps in the 30's which is just crazy for the coast! Be careful up there- news reports look really bad!

      Delete
  18. Absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful Cottage, Beautiful Family!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Like I mentioned on the good ol' FB, your home is absolute PERFECTION! EVERY DETAIL IS FLAWLESS :) you are amazing friend! Sharing on FB now :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet! Thank you so much for sharing :)

      Delete
  20. I love your Christmas decorations and all of the vintage inspiration! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are definitely never too old for mini marshmallows, haha! Your home is so lovely! I am in LOVE with your old typewriter and vintage book display! How fun to be able to change it up for the holidays and seasons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I loved your home tour as well. This was so much fun!

      Delete
  22. Oh WOW!! So glad to find your blog at the link party. I am loving so many of your gorgeous decor and special touches. I'm a fan of typography as well and love all the ways you've incorporated it. I may have to use the typewriter idea...mine is sitting all unused! Thank you for sharing your many talents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The typewriter is one of my kids favourite things...they love to see what quotes I put in it. When they were little I used a lot of quotes about character :)

      Delete
  23. Your home is just wonderful...love how you've styled it for the holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Patricia, your family looks like HEAPS of fun...and your house is simply stunning. Where do I even begin? Okay, well maybe with that ceiling wallpapered with maps?! I pinned that and promptly tagged my husband so he sees it. He's my map man. It's one of the very first things I remember him talking about when we first "met" in Romantic Literature class in college: his love of maps! The burlap and rustic elements have me swooning...I love all your antiques from the typewriter to those boars hair brushes on display. And that headboard you DIY'd? My word, woman. You've got some major skills! So glad to have discovered your blog as part of this hop we did. Sorry it took me so long to mosey on over. Suffice it to say, it has been busy, but I'm so glad I did. It won't be my last visit either. HUGS from Orlando!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren- Your words are too kind! Thank you so much for popping over- the tour was a blast and I got to discover so many lovely blogs :)

      Delete
  25. what a wonderful home full of merriment!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paige! We try to keep it simple and enjoy the cold weather and each other :)

      Delete
  26. your home looks beautiful! i love the headboard you guys made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cassie- it was actually quite easy to make :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for popping in. I appreciate all of your lovely comments...Tricia